Try this aromatic light salad. It makes a great side dish too. Why not add some salmon, chicken or smoked mackerel and really make it your own?
300 ml hot vegetable or chicken stock
200 g couscous
50 g sultanas or dried appricots ( optional )
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
1 fat garlic clove
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
50 g almonds or cashew nuts
1 bunch spring onions or 1/2 red onion or chive
200 gr white yoghurt
1 handful fresh mint ( optional )
salt and pepper
1. Preheat the grill to high. Cut the peppers in half then put onto the grill pan or baking tray. Grill for about 10 minutes, or until the skin have turned black.
2. Put the peppers into a bowl and cover with clingfilm, or put them into a plastic bag and seal. Leave for a few minutes, until cool enough to handle. Peel the skin off, discard the stalks and seeds, then slice the flesh.
3. While you wait, put the couscous into a large mixing bowl, add the stock, then cover with clingfilm. Set aside for 10 minutes.
4. Make the dressing. Put a small pan over a low heat and add the cinnamon and cumin. Heat for 1-2 minutes, then take off the heat.Add crushed garlic, lemon zest , lemon juice and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Mix with yoghurt
5. When the couscous absorbed all of the stock, fluff it up with a fork to break up any clumps.
6. Add the peppers, toasted nuts, onions, sultanas/appricots. Stir everything together.
7. Tear the mint leaves into the couscous and serve with a dollop of the spicy yoghurt sauce.