These. Are. So. Addictive.
And once you know how to make them, you will never have an excuse to not cook sweet potatoes again. Those kids that won’t eat their veggies? Hah. They’ll eat so many of these fries their skin will turn yellow from beta-carotene:)
There are many sources of beta-carotene: carrots, pumpkin, sweet potato and cantaloupe. Beta-carotene neutralizes free radicals, which may damage cells; bolsters cellular antioxidant defenses; can be made into vitamin A in the body.
For beta-carotene-rich french fries: thinly slice sweet potatoes and coat with olive oil or fat-free cooking spray, add spices to taste ( pepper, rosemary, thyme ), bake in 220°oven until golden brown on both sides ( 10-15 minutes ). So good!
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- olive or other vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1-2 Tbsp spice or spice combination of your choice
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut off the ends. Cut the potatoes into wedges. Alternately, you can slice the peeled sweet potato into disks.
- Put the sweet potatoes into a large bowl and add the oil. Mix well to combine. Sprinkle with salt and spices of your choice. Use your hands to mix well, so all pieces are coated with oil and spices.
- Spread the sweet potatoes out in a single layer on a baking sheet; the oil they are coated with should keep them from sticking to the pan.
- Bake for a total of 25 to 30 minutes.